The St. Cloud Children's Home is licensed through the Department of Human Services as a residential treatment facility for the care and treatment of youth with significant emotional and behavioral challenges. We provide an education for all residents at Riverwoods School, an on-site educational program. An education for students attending day program services through Catholic Charities is also provided at Riverwoods School. Teachers at Riverwoods work closely with clinical team members to establish both education and treatment goals.
1726 S. 7th Ave.
St. Cloud, MN 56301
Most students attending school at Riverwoods have been placed as a result of emotional and behavioral challenges they experience. Consequently, in addition to providing a well-rounded academic curriculum that allows the student the opportunity to progress toward a goal of graduation from their home school, another primary focus of the school program is to identify interfering behaviors that may occur in an instructional setting and teach the skills necessary to assist students in making better decisions. In order for students to experience success, we believe each student must recognize the need to learn new skills, be willing to make changes and eventually self-monitor their behavior, and finally, to become a positive self-advocate for their own unique learner qualities and needs. This is accomplished by teachers and students working together in a cooperative manner to set goals and objectives. Once goals and objectives are achieved, students have equipped themselves with skills needed for a successful return to a more traditional school setting.
School Program Goals
- To improve a student's academic skills and study habits through a learning environment in which students experience success.
- To model, teach, and reinforce appropriate social and learning behaviors.
- To recognize student strengths and capitalize on appropriate choices.
- To provide appropriate, respectful teaching interactions and consistent consequences when students display inappropriate behaviors.
- To empower students with the skills necessary to return to a traditional school setting at the time they leave Riverwoods.
Students are enrolled in the Riverwoods School by virtue of referral to the various programs operated by Catholic Charities through county social service agencies, the court system, private insurers, school districts, and parents.