Katherine Johnson Alternative Programs
Katherine Johnson Alternative Program serves students in grades k-12 utilizing three educational programs. The Elementary Program serves grades k-5, The Middle School Program serves grades 6-8 and the High School Program serves grades 9-12. The Level IV Program is a day program operated by St. Cloud Area School District 742 and is for District 742 resident students only. Referral to the Level IV Program is determined through the IEP teams from the student's home school.
Students attending school at the Katherine Johnson Education Center have been placed as a result of emotional and behavioral challenges they experience. Consequently, in addition to providing a well-rounded academic curriculum that allows the student the opportunity to progress toward a goal of graduation from their home school, another primary focus of the school program is to identify interfering behaviors that may occur in an instructional setting and teach the skills necessary to assist students in making better decisions. In order for students to experience success, we believe each student must recognize the need to learn new skills, be willing to make changes and eventually self-monitor their behavior, and finally, to become a positive self-advocate for their own unique learner qualities and needs. This is accomplished by teachers, families and students working together in a cooperative manner to set goals and objectives. Once goals and objectives are achieved, students have equipped themselves with skills needed for a successful return to a more traditional school setting.
School Program Goals
- To improve a student's academic skills and study habits through a learning environment in which students experience success.
- To model, teach, and reinforce appropriate social and learning behaviors.
- To recognize student strengths and capitalize on appropriate choices.
- To provide appropriate, respectful teaching interactions and consistent consequences when students display inappropriate behaviors.
- To empower students with the skills necessary to return to a traditional school setting at the time they leave Katherine Johnson Education.
Students are enrolled in Katherine Johnson Alternative Programs by virtue of referral to the various programs operated by Catholic Charities through county social service agencies, the court system, private insurers, school districts, and parents.
Questions about the program can be directed to:
Brenda Blackmore, Director of Alternative Programs
Katherine Johnson Education Center
713 Anderson Ave
St. Cloud, MN 56303