The Language Immersion program is available for Spanish at Clearview Elementary School and Mandarin Chinese at Madison Elementary School. In the school, students are immersed in Spanish/Chinese while they learn mathematics, science, reading, writing and other curriculum. Immersion means that teachers communicate only in Spanish/Chinese while teaching students.
Benefits of Learning Two Languages:
- Enhances academic and linguistic performance in both languages
- Cognitive advantages - physically enhances brain development
- Increases career and social opportunities
- Expands world view
- Scores statistically higher on SAT college entrance exams
- Increases attendance at colleges and universities
- Improves English language skills
- Enhances learning capacity for life
- Full-day program starting in kindergarten
- The second language is the language of instruction for all classroom instruction in kindergarten
- The curriculum parallels the district curriculum in all subjects
- Students will be taught to read in the second language until third grade, at that time, there is direct instruction in English for reading in English.
- Students will continue to be taught the other subjects in the second language through sixth grade
- Families are requested to make a seven year commitment to the program