Hello, my name is Patrick Russell and I am the school psychologist for Discovery Community School and Lincoln Elementary. This is my 29th year of serving as a school psychologist, and my 18th in the St. Cloud school district. I have a Bachelor's of Science degree in Behavioral Science which I earned from North Central University (Minneapolis) in 1984; and an Education Specialist's degree in School Psychology from the University of Wisconsin - River Falls (my Master's degree in School Psychology is also from UWRF which I earned in 1989, with my EdS degree coming in 2000). I have four children: Claire, 30 years; Joseph (and his wife Sammy) 27 years; Samuel, 16 years; and Liam, 14 years. My wife Kimberly and I (along with Sam and Liam) currently live at home in Cold Spring with our dog Lucy, and our cats Fluffles and Sandy.
What is a School Psychologist
School psychologists help children and youth succeed academically, socially, and emotionally. They team with educators, parents, and other mental health professionals to create safe, healthy, and supportive learning environments for all students that strengthen connections between home and school.
School psychologists must have training in both psychology and education. Their broad range of skills enables them to engage in:
• Consultation with school personnel and families about students’ learning, behavior, and learning environments
• Assessment of academic skills and aptitudes, social/emotional development, mental health, and eligibility for special services
• Individual, group, and organizational interventions, including counseling
• Research and evaluation to help identify and develop effective programs and strategies
• Workshops and presentations to teachers and parents to help them better understand and support students’ learning, development, and mental health.
I am at Discovery on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Friday afternoons; with my schedule at Lincoln being Mondays, Wednesdays, and Friday mornings. If you need to reach me my number is: (Discovery) 320.251.7770, x3705; (Lincoln) 320.251.6343.