Early Childhood Required Screening
Early Childhood Screening is required for entrance in Minnesota's public schools or within 30 days of enrollment into kindergarten. Early Childhood Screening is offered throughout the year. All three and four-year-old children must be screened at least once. Early Childhood Screening or a comparable comprehensive screening is required for public school kindergarten entrance.
The early childhood years from birth to the start of kindergarten are an important time of rapid learning and growth. Early Childhood Screening is a quick and simple check of how children are doing between the ages of three to four years. It identifies, at an early stage, possible learning or health concerns so that children can get needed help before starting school. Screening in early childhood supports children's readiness for kindergarten and promotes positive child health and developmental outcomes. Early Childhood Screening is not a kindergarten entrance test.
The screening process:
- Provides an opportunity for young children and their families to access a wide variety of services and early childhood programs; and
- Promotes and supports parents understanding of their child's health, development, and learning.
The developmental screening instruments used in District 742 are recommended by the Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) for use in comprehensive screening programs for children in Minnesota and are approved by the Minnesota Department of Education for use in the Early Childhood Screening Program.
- Developmental screening (cognitive, fine and gross motor, language and social-emotional development)
- Physical growth
- Risk factors that influence learning
- Referral for health care coverage
- Summary interview with parent
(Minnesota Statutes § 121A. 17)
Click HERE to register online or call Early Childhood Education at 320-253-5828 ext. 5701. Early Childhood Screening takes place at Colts Academy, 124 SE First Ave., St. Joseph. Email questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please download the below forms, complete and bring with you to your preschooler's screening appointment.