Immersion Program Admission Procedures
St. Cloud Area School District 742 offers a Chinese and Spanish Immersion program where students learn Chinese or Spanish as a second language through immersion. Because of the program’s structure, students must begin St. Cloud Area School District 742’s Chinese or Spanish Immersion program in Kindergarten or possibly 1st grade, if room is available. All classroom instruction is conducted in Chinese or Spanish. Students learn to read, write and speak in Chinese or Spanish, as well as learn math, social studies and science, and begin to develop an understanding of Chinese or Hispanic cultures.
Application Timeline for the 2018-2019 School Year
- January 6, 2018 – Application Begins
- January 29, 2018 – Application Deadline
- February 12, 2018 – Application Lottery
- February 20, 2018 – Lottery Results Mailed
Applications will be accepted after the lottery. If space is available, your application will be approved immediately and you will have 30 days to accept the approval.
If no space is available, your application will be added to the waiting list.
Admissions Procedure: St. Cloud Area School District 742
Chinese or Spanish Immersion Program
- St. Cloud Area School District 742 will provide a fair and open process for enrolling students in the Chinese or Spanish Immersion Schools.
- The order of priority for application selection is in-district siblings, out-of-district siblings, children of staff from schools with an Immersion program and all other children.
- The number of students admitted each year is determined by District Administration.
- The administration of the lottery and admissions procedures is the responsibility of District Administration.
- For the best chance of acceptance, families should complete and submit an application before the application deadline.
- Families of students admitted to the Chinese or Spanish Immersion Program are notified and must accept by the deadline.
- Any family applying after the lottery deadline will be placed on the waiting list according to the application date and time.
PROVISION FOR TWINS OR SIBLINGS IN THE SAME GRADE In the event that twins or siblings from the same grade apply, only one name is entered into the lottery and if drawn, both students are admitted.
Provision for Sibling Preference
- Families with children currently enrolled in the District 742 Immersion Programs, who live in the St. Cloud Area School District 742 boundaries are enrolled in the program, provided the completed registration is submitted by the registration deadline.
- Families with children currently enrolled in the St. Cloud Area School District 742 Immersion Programs who live out of the district will be given next priority, provided the completed registration is submitted by the deadline.
Provision for Children of Staff
Staff from schools with an Immersion Program who complete and submit a registration before the annual registration deadline will be given priority enrollment.
- All qualifying students eligible for priority enrollment are subtracted from the total number of openings.
- All remaining qualified applicants are sorted by gender.
- Applicants are drawn randomly, alternating by gender, until all openings are filled. A coin flip will determine the first gender selected.
- If names remain after all openings are filled, a waiting list is created by continuing the lottery selection process until all names have been drawn, recording the names in the order in which they were drawn.
- The names of students living in District 742 are recorded first on the waiting list, followed by students living outside District 742.