All students are provided the unique opportunity, when entering kindergarten and first grade, to enroll in one of District 742's Language Immersion programs. These programs immerse students in a second language allowing them to become bilingual at an early age. Students who learn two languages demonstrate enhanced learning ability, academic and linguistic performance, cognitive advantages and statistically higher SAT scores. Spanish Immersion is offered at Clearview Elementary, while Chinese Immersion is at Madison Elementary. All students living within District 742 boundaries are eligible to enroll in an Immersion program and are able to receive full transportation services regardless of what school attendance area they reside in.
The Language Immersion program is available for Spanish at Clearview Elementary School and Mandarin Chinese at Madison Elementary School. In the school, students are immersed in Spanish/Chinese while they learn mathematics, science, reading, writing and other curriculum. Immersion means that teachers communicate only in Spanish/Chinese while teaching students.
- Enhances academic and linguistic performance in both languages
- Cognitive advantages - physically enhances brain development
- Increases career and social opportunities
- Expands world view
- Scores statistically higher on SAT college entrance exams
- Increases attendance at colleges and universities
- Improves English language skills
- Enhances learning capacity for life
- Full-day program starting in kindergarten
- The second language is the language of instruction for all classroom instruction in kindergarten
- The curriculum parallels the district curriculum in all subjects
- Students will be taught to read in the second language until third grade, at that time, there is direct instruction in English for reading in English.
- Students will continue to be taught the other subjects in the second language through sixth grade
- Families are requested to make a seven year commitment to the program