Free/Reduced Meals

  • Free and Reduced Meals St. Cloud Area Schools provide healthy meals each day. For the 2020-21 school year the elementary breakfast cost is $1.55 and lunch cost is $2.70. Secondary breakfast cost is $1.60 and lunch cost is $2.90. Snack milk/cold lunch milk/extra milk cost is .50 each for all students regardless of their meal status.

    Your children may qualify for free or reduced-price school meals. Online Applications are available through Skyward Family Access for anyone wishing to apply for free/reduced lunch benefits. Complete the Online application or use the following paper application:

    Online Application Instructions:

    • Log into Skyward Family Access
    • New families will need to contact the building secretary for Skyward log in information
    • Select "Food Service" from menu on left side
    • Select a child's name from your account on top drop down box
    • on mid-right side, select "Applications" link
    • Select "Add application"
    • Follow instructions to complete application and submit
    • Call Mary at 320-370-8151 if you have any questions

    A new application must be submitted each year. At public schools, your application also helps the school qualify for education funds and discounts. DO NOT SUBMIT AN APPLICATION IF YOU RECEIVED A BENEFITS LETTER BEFORE SCHOOL STARTED. If you receive a benefits letter you need to do nothing further except keep letter.

    State funds help to pay for reduced-price school meals, so all students who are approved for either free or reduced-price school meals will receive school meals at no charge. State funds also help to pay for breakfasts for kindergarten students, so all participating kindergarten students will receive breakfasts at no charge.

    Return your completed Application (ONE PER FAMILY) for Educational Benefits to:
    ISD 742 Nutritional Services Dept, 1201 S. Second St., Waite Park, MN 56387.

    Who can get free school meals?

    Children in households participating in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), Minnesota Family Investment Program (MFIP) or Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR), and foster, homeless, migrant and runaway children can get free school meals without reporting household income. Also, children can get free school meals if their household income is within the maximum income shown for their household size.

    I get WIC. Can my children get free school meals?

    Children in households participating in WIC may be eligible for free school meals. Please fill out an application. A WIC case number does not qualify you.

    May I apply if someone in my household is not a U.S. citizen?

    Yes. You or your children do not have to be U.S. citizens for your children to qualify for free or reduced-price school meals.

    Who should I include as household members?

    Include yourself and all other people living in the household, related or not (such as grandparents, other relatives, or friends).

    What if my income is not always the same?

    List the amount that you normally get. If you normally get overtime, include it, but not if you get overtime only sometimes.

    Will the information I give be checked?

    Yes, and we may also ask you to send written proof.

    How will the information be kept?

    Information you provide on the form, and your child’s approval status for school meal benefits, will be protected as private data. Your child’s approval status for school meal benefits may be shared with other nutrition, education or health programs that offer benefits based on approval for school meals – for more information see the back page of the Application for Educational Benefits.

    For more information or questions please call 320-370-8151.