Third Party Billing (TPB)
Minnesota legislation went into effect July 1, 2000 that requires school districts to attempt to obtain reimbursement for a portion of the expenses associated with providing IEP services to their students. Reimbursements can be collected from third party sources such as Minnesota public health coverage (MA or MNCare) and/or private insurance. Currently the St. Cloud school district does not bill private insurance companies. Third party revenues help to offset the decline in State funding and to reduce the amount of general education revenue necessary to fund special education in District 742.
Money our district receives from third party billing can be used to:
- benefit students with special needs in our district;
- pay for the cost of doing third party billing; and
- provide training and assistance to increase the amount of third party billing revenue.
The District can bill for: speech/language and hearing therapy, physical therapy, occupational therapy, mental health, nursing, personal care assistance (paraprofessional) services, assistive technology, special transportation, and some interpreter services.
Sharing Student Information
To facilitate the process of third party billing of special education health related services, St. Cloud Area School District 742 may provide your child's name and date of birth to the Minnesota Department of Human Services to determine your child's eligibility for Minnesota Health Care Programs. Only students who have been or will be evaluated to determine their eligibility for special education services will be included in this process. If you do not wish to have your child's information used for this purpose, please send your objection in writing to: Student Services, Attention Third Party Billing, 1000 44th Avenue No., St. Cloud, MN 56303. You may also mark "NO" on your child's annual Consent to Seek Payment for Special Education Health Related Services form.
Documents Available from Third Party Billing
- Information to Parents and Guardians About the Third Party Billing Program
- Medical Assistance and School Health Related Services: Information for Families (Available in English, Hmong, Khmer, Lao, Russian, Somali, Spanish, and Vietnamese)
- Notice of Procedural Safeguards: Parental Rights for Special Education
- TEFRA Option: MA Benefits for Disabled Children
To request documents email or call Heidi Marquardt at 320-202-6896.