Welcome to St. Cloud Area School District 742
Welcome to the 2023-2024 school year.
As we begin the new academic year, I want to extend a sincere welcome to students, families, and staff. Our schools will soon be abuzz with activity, as classrooms, hallways, and playgrounds come alive with the energy of another new beginning. Our core values of academic excellence, innovation, and safe, caring environments remain central to our mission. We envision schools where new students find belonging from their very first day, and returning students feel a sense of pride in themselves and their academic progress.
In the 2023-2024 school year, we are making some positive changes to help students achieve. These initiatives include:
- Central Minnesota Virtual Academy: Our newly launched online school provides students in grades 6-12 with flexible learning options tailored to their individual needs and schedules.
- Expanded Dual Language Immersion: We're expanding our successful dual language immersion programs, now offering Spanish Immersion at Westwood and piloting a Somali Immersion program at Discovery and Talahi, promoting both language skills and cultural awareness. We are also pleased to offer Chinese Immersion, our longest running immersion program, at Madison.
- Tailored Professional Development: Our staff will grow in their craft and ability to serve every child through innovative, choice-driven professional development work.
- Individualized Progress Tracking: New assessment systems will allow students, parents, and teachers to monitor students’ progress in real-time, ensuring timely interventions and support.
- Enhanced Reading Training: We're teaching the science of reading to all PK-5 staff to strengthen their ability to help our youngest students build a strong foundation for academic success.
Our focus is on improving outcomes for students and, we need your help, the support of families and our community. Please get involved by attending family conferences and the monthly family meetings held at each school, join one of our district-level advisory committees, or attend our Board of Education meetings. We are better together, and we are proud to be your public schools. Thank you for entrusting your child’s education to us and uniting with us this school year.